Sunday, December 11, 2005

Severing The Ties...

Well, it's official. I am sick and tired of my lackluster internet connection. I thought that by upgrading to DSL, I would be doing the best thing. Apparently such is not the case. Sometimes my DSL line goes down twice in one hour - simply unacceptable. I get too frustrated with it. I keep thinking to myself, " do I really want to put up with this any longer?" I am very tempted to cancel it and not have internet at all. The role that it once served me in life is really no longer needed, so maybe it's time to move on. I know that I've brought this up more than a few times, but I just can't help but wonder if it really is all just a waste of time. True, I've chatted and emailed some wonderful people, but the majority of my time is spent looking at useless crap that no one cares about. If it's one thing that I've learned living here on earth, it's that people don't like it when you know more than them, or that you can do something better. They try to belittle you and make you feel like a freak, that you should be punished for your gifts. Anyway... gotta go. Not sure if I'll be back soon, if it all. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll wake up with a different frame of mind.

2 comments:

elvira black said...

Is DSL the same as cable? High speed cable is far superior to anything else, as far as I know.

Hope you decide to keep at it!

Danny said...

Elvira:

Nope - DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) uses your existing telephone lines. It usually worked great for me in the past; until I moved into this apartment. Now I have intermittent connections at best. The transfer rates are nowhere near cable, but they are good enough to listen to high-bandwidth internet stations and for some video streams.

Interestingly enough though - last night I was on a website downloading a pamphlet in .pdf format, and the transfer started at around 1MB/sec - something that DSL usually does not do! Eventually, it slowed down to around 110kb/sec, which is pretty fast if you are used to dialup LOL!

I must admit that I've been in a bit of a funk over the past few days, so maybe that was influencing my decision to quit cold turkey. This is the time when I make snap judgements and foolish decisions - usually I regret them later. Trying not to go ballistic over the connection is really taking its toll on me.

Thanks for stopping in. :)