Monday, September 12, 2005

Goodwill Bargains!

All Spiffed Up...
I came back from an interview today and stopped off at the local Goodwill store. I'll admit, the way I was dressed would indicate that I wouldn't even dream of shopping there! I looked more like a business man on a casual day. But I went in anyway. I looked around for a bit - heading straight to the computer stuff.

My Secret's Been Discovered!
It seems now that everyone knows that you can buy good computer stuff at the Goodwill store really cheap! Most of the stuff doesn't come with drivers, but that's ok - you can usually get them off the net somewhere for free. I did come across one neat thing - A Sony MTS Stereo TV sound tuner for $6.00. This thing was state-of-the-art back in the days when Stereo television was just coming into being! I didn't buy it, but I'm sure that I"ll come back for it. It's not something that I need, since my TV, VCR, and media center PC have MTS Stereo sound anyway. But for six bucks... I guess that I'll go pick it up tomorrow...

Other Things...
I looked amongst the books they had - some pretty good stuff, if you're looking for cheap college textbooks. I almost picked up one on calculus - I never took that in school, so I guess that I'm a little curious about it. I looked through the records section and found nothing exciting - Frankie Laine AGAIN!* I turned around and looked at the CDs...nothing. Then I started looking at videocassettes, and tucked in there was an unopened audiobook - Making Peace With Your Past: The Six Essential Steps To Enjoying A Great Future by Harold Bloomfield, M.D. Naturally, I'm a sucker for personal development and self-help stuff, especially audiobooks! I grabbed it before anyone else could get it - not that there were people fighting over it...(ha)

"One Oh Six, Please."
I noted that the price of cassettes was 75 cents, and took it up to the counter. The clerk looked at it, and before she could answer, I said, "It's an audiobook, but I don't know how many cassettes are in it," to display my honesty. She saw that it contained four tapes, and rang it out as one anyway! So technically, it was supposed to be three dollars, instead of one! Yeah, yeah I know - big deal! The point is, it appeared that this thing was never opened. Actually, it was at one time, but still....one dollar for an audiobook is a heck of a deal in my opinion.

Going Back...
Oh, you can be sure that I'm going back to get that Sony tuner - I can't pass that up! They are a rare find, and it's something else that I can hook up to my studio mixer. I have an empty outlet on my power strip, so why not? I can use it until analog TV becomes obsolete in.....keep dreamin' FCC! It ain't gonna happen!

F-R-A-N-K-I-E (help!)
*Over the course of one day, I have heard THREE Frankie Laine songs! These were on Webradio Goldenflash - a station located in Belgium. Note: They broadcast in Dutch, and you won't hear much English, except for the music. Looks like I'm going to make that internet radio blog after all...

No comments: