Thursday, September 01, 2005

Burning The Midnight Oil...

Light A Candle?
Perhaps? Do you like the scent of lavender candles? - they seem to relax me, and in two ways. First, the aroma that fills the air is quite pleasant. It just adds a sweetness to the stale air in my room. Second, the flickering light is something to focus on during meditation. The flame can represent that goal that I'm working towards - an overall better life in mental, physical, and spiritual aspects. The more "air" that I supply to the candle, the longer and stronger that it will burn.

A Far-Fetched Theory...
Try this one on - maybe the flame is our life and how we perceive it to be? Perhaps the wax represents our bodies, subjected to time - as the candle burns, the wax melts down further, a representation of years gone by. If the candle is balanced properly, and has enough oxygen, it will burn quite well, and last a long time. However, if the wick is bent, or the surface it happens to be on is not level, that can create some problems. It won't burn properly and evenly - it might burn down one side much quicker than the other (and the wax builds up in a strange manner.) The wick will slide down further at that angle, which causes the flame to contort to it in an unhealthy manner. In turn, this causes the flame to flicker incessantly - after a while this is not exactly soothing to the eyes.

Does This Make Sense?
Remember, this is all just a theory, so don't take me to task yet! Maybe someone beat me to it? I wonder if Deepak Chopra, or anyone who deals in holisitic medicine, has thoughts regarding this. If so, enlighten me, as I'm too tired to google anything tonight. I think that this comes from more "stream of consciousness," styles of writing. It's like improvising musically. You just go on a whim and keep running with it. Somehow, it all ends up working out in the end. Hey, it worked for the Grateful Dead, Phish, and String Cheese Incident - why not for anyone else? Anyway, going off on tangents is one of my greater gifts, but it also can get me into trouble. More on this later...

Thank You!
For now, it's off to bed before it gets too late. Tomorrow is slated for individual and group therapies. I will plan for this as well. Thank you for taking the time to read my weblog. I am touched by your interest and concerns. Without a doubt, I will be sure to return the favor.

1 comment:

elvira black said...

Danny:

Wow...I'm so glad I discovered your blog. I found it through your comments to Weird Cake. I have bipolar disorder, I'm very into music, and I've started to read one of your earlier post/links and am quite intrigued. I will come back later and read more before I comment again, but I already have a lot of things in mind I'd like to say.

Great stuff! I'll be back...lol.